What’s the hardest thing to shop for this time of year? For me, it’s those darned stocking stuffers!
It’s really hard to find fun, clever things that bring a smile to the face, aren’t too large and don’t cost too much.
I’m afraid the wine lovers in my circle are incredibly jaded, by now, and likely to snicker at most wine related hoo-ha I might be tempted to stuff in their stockings. Let’s face it – the vast majority of wine gadgets available eat up valuable drawer space and are essentially useless.
So – this is a highly selective list of useful things that aren’t too expensive and will easily fit into the stocking of that hard-to-please wino. You can pick up some of these things here at Goosecross – great excuse to break up your shopping with a glass or two of wine 😉 Or, of course, there’s your local wine shop, bookstore or maybe even the hardware store (at least our hardware store carries wine stuff – is that a local quirk?). Failing that, there’s always 2-day air from Amazon or Wine Enthusiast…
My top 10 suggestions:
10. Hugh Johnson’s Pocket Wine Book 2010 Actually, I defy anyone to snicker at this handy little reference that fits in your back pocket or purse – about ten bucks at Amazon.
9. De Long’s Wine Grape Varietal Table This is a really fun poster with info about at least a zillion varieties. If you recognize every grape on this chart, seriously, you need to get a life! Great for your cellar or wine-storage area. We have it (tasting room only) – come see us! Or try Amazon.
8. Wine Away (purse sized) This stuff really works! Never go wine-tasting without this magic potion that takes the stains out of your poor, Syrah-spotted shirt! We have it here (tasting room only) – come see us!
7. There’s also a wine-away, of sorts, for your teeth. It’s called Wine Wipes. We have it here (tasting room only) – c’mon in and stain your teeth royally with our Cab. Then use the wipes and dazzle everyone with your brilliant smile!
6. Gift card from Goosecross. Just call 800-276-9210 or shop online and get a gift card for any amount you want. No expiration on these babies. Very cool!
5. Private Preserve This is another thing you’re always happy to have around (spray it into partial bottle so it doesn’t spoil). We have it (tasting room only)!
4. Foil Cutter(s) Every time I have to remove the foil with the old waiter’s corkscrew, I wish I had one of these in my pocket. We also have a corkscrew with a built-in foil cutter in our tasting room and online wine shop!
3. Micro-fiber cloths to dry your wine glasses. No more lint all over the place! We have these, too (tasting room only!
2. Champagne stopper(s) You can never have too many of these because they’re always getting lost (don’t ask me how – just do what I do – blame the cat).
1. An actual bottle of delicious wine! This will, of course, fill up the stocking, but you’ve accomplished two good things:1) solved your problem 2) made someone really happy!
Happy hunting! And stuffing! And, to quote friend, Diane, “I wish you the loveliest of Christmas memories and pray that our New Year will bring the world as many miracles as possible”.